Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

Finally something for me!

Ok, that’s not entirely true! The first project I wove on the loom was to be a bracelet for me. But it’s still languishing in a drawer unfinished! I’m not one to wear much jewellery – necklaces and bracelets. Day to day I only wear stud earrings (yes, very plain!) plus my wedding and engagement rings. If we are going somewhere and I (try to) dress up, I’ll wear the drop earrings I made.

So, I figured I would Mae something that’s a little more functional. I’ve got a little black dress (with a hint of white) that has belt loops. But I don’t have the belt to go with it. The only one I have us cream, that wont work!. As mentioned before, I was in a bead shop for something else when I spotted the buckle. I hadn’t thought about doing a belt, but did when I saw it.

All that remained was to come up with a design. Being just two colours, it was going to be easy enough. I first wanted to design for a scroll like pattern. I played (very briefly) in Photoshop but figured it’s not how I want to do it. So I just went into BeadTool. I played with circles then diamonds before I settled on the final pattern.

I’d measured the length I need, and calculated five repeats of the design would give the required length. So far i have completed one repeat. And there is a (minor) MISTAKE! I could easily correct it but I’m not going to.

I’m making use of advancing the beadwork. The loom doesn’t give me enough length to work the belt in one go, and I’ve yet to make extenders for it. So the beadwork will be moved to the back as I weave (bottom up). I’ll work half the length then cut off and work the other half. Joining isn’t daunting anymore so will be just fine.

Then it went wrong! I don’t know why but one of the sheds just refused to set itself. I had to fidget with it, and even then it wasn’t correct. So I cut it all off and went back to the usual method. I will try again, but with something narrower and not so important!

On another note, I went to a local bead shop hoping to buy more DB1765 for the fringe on the purse, but they don’t stock it. I had to order it online (and it arrived on Friday). But, I did get a cone of black Nymo! That should keep me going for a while yet :)

In the meantime, today I’ll be resting and visiting our friends. It’s a miserable day but I’m feeling chirpy! Enjoy yours :)

2 Responses to Finally something for me!

  1. Susan - Reply

    September 24, 2012 at 3:59 am

    The belt looked beautiful! I am still in awe of your fringe. I keep going back to see it. I hope you and the shedding device become better “friends”. It really is fun to bead with after a few rows. I admire that you keep on trying! Hugs!

  2. Brenda K - Reply

    September 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

    Thank you Susan. I love the fringe too, so glad it worked! I've had to put it on hold AGAIN!
    I'll keep trying that shedding device. It'll probably get sick of me rather than the other way round :)

Leave a Comment