My first woven beads on a Mirrix
Okay be honest, people. How many of you laughed out loud when I showed you what I had planned for my first bead weaving adventure? Let me tell you, there was a major learning curve for me after I warped up. Probably because I was a bit over-confident, since I’ve used the loom for tapestry. And, because I know I won’t be interested in working with larger beads, I started with 11/0 seed beads and learned that my eyesight is not what it used to be. So, to make it a bit easier I decided to make up the pattern as I went (instead of following the charts). For the first hour I felt like I was all thumbs; dropping beads, unable to place them between the warp threads, and so on. I have to admit after wrestling with the first row for a while I really wondered if bead weaving was just not for me. But, after some persistence, and after gaining a little finesse, I got into the zone. The clincher was when I set up the second row, and it was the action, and that feeling of squishing the second row against the first that converted me. You bead weavers know what I’m talking about.
In the future I think I’ll be much happier weaving with Delica beads (these are China-made from Beads World). I can see how their uniformity would make all the difference in the finished piece. Some other things I learned are, 1) a warp sett that is well matched to your bead size makes all the difference. You can work much faster and with more ease if the spaces between your warp threads match your beads exactly 2) when working with fine bead work I might use the Texsolv heddles, since my hand-made ones were a bit too bulky. I ended up having to compress them each time I changed sheds.
Stay tuned on my Instagram for the finished piece with hardware and such attached.