Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

Social Market for a Mirrix

The first small (5 inch x 7 inch) tapestry is finished. This first picture shows the completed piece before I cut it off the loom. As you can see, there was more than enough space to warp for a second weaving if I had planned ahead.

This second picture is a close-up of the piece while it was still on the loom. You can get a better idea of the colors and texture in this photo. It still feels like a southwestern landscape to me. I’m going to live with it for a couple of weeks before I make a decision on embellishing it with beads.

This is before I tied off the warp threads. For some reason, in this photo the weaving looks really uneven but my ruler says it isn’t.
And a close up to show the color and texture variation.

One of the things that I really like about the loom is that it’s very well-constructed, and at 6 lbs., doesn’t shift around while I’m weaving.
So, lessons learned and things I would do differently:
  • Using the shedding device would definitely have made weaving this piece much easier and faster especially because of the fibers I selected.
  • In order to incorporate the beads I want to use into the weaving, I’m going to have to experiment a bit more to come up with a solution that I’m happy with. I spent a lot of time unweaving sections to remove beads because I didn’t like the way they looked.
I’ll be posting video #2 tomorrow showing the start of the next piece. Also, I’m getting the projects set up on Weavolution so you’ll be able to follow along there if you’re so inclined. I’ll post a link to the projects when they’re ready. There’s also a Mirrix Looms group on Weavolution.
I’ll leave you with some eye candy… Maximo Laura, a Peruvian tapestry weaver. I want to be him when I grow up.

Leave a Comment

Current ye@r *

Follow Us!