Greetings Weaving Friends! My foray into increases and decreases continues to advance. I have one strap complete (see photo to the left). In addition, I have successfully added the missing piece of the work to the right side of the body, and it does appear symmetrical. As it should. That part was woven down, while the rest of the body is woven up. It is has been fun to see how to add complexity by increasing and decreasing, with just a little bit of technical “know-how”. I purchased this pattern as part of a class. Although, according to the pattern, the assembly includes adding round beads, I’ve decided to stay “cubist” and I plan to add cube beads.
I’ve got a lot of work left on it before that happens. But, I am already fantasizing about how I will decorate and assemble the pieces. As you can see, I did warp with a cream colored thread, and I am happier with the results, compared with the black I used in my sampler. Learning to “lock” my warp threads after removing from the loom was a crucial step in my mastery of the process. Locking keeps the work stable. I had to weave in many of the threads and that is quite time consuming. I cannot imagine locking and weaving in the 60 threads x2 (top and bottom) that I will do, when I remove the body from the loom.
Using Silamide A thread
gave me a lot of room to weave in. It is a 2 ply nylon that has minimal to zero stretch. It is also very thin, so the beadwork did not become distorted by all the buried threads. The threads that remain will be used to connect the strap to the body and to a clasp. And now… back to weaving…and then locking…and then burying…and then assembling……….Yippeee!
Julia L. Hecht
Poppyfield Bead Company