I admit it, the dog collar I was weaving didn’t get finished as fast as I wanted to. It wasn’t the weaving- that was easy- I just wasn’t sure how I was going to finish it (and, let’s be honest, the weaving is the fun part… the finishing… not so much). I was thinking about lining it, but in the end decided it wasn’t necessary and what I will do for my next collar is weave in my ends Navajo-style so the tapestry is double sides.
|See my new collar?
After finishing, I’ve decided on the changes I will make for my next collar. First, I would make it a little thicker, 8 dents across with a 10 dent coil. Second, I would use more beads. I was worried that Sam would try to eat them or something, but now that I see them on the collar they look really nice. Third, I would have made the collar a little longer for. I want it to be very adjustable, especially because he’s a puppy.
I apologize in advance for the terrible iPhone photography!
Finishing weaving. Next time I will weave slightly more for the footer.
The piece off the loom. After cutting it off I tied the ends and then trimmed them very short. Next time, I will weave in my ends to make the piece double sided.
Because I cut the ends so short, I made sure to dab glue on all the ends so they don’t unravel. I also folded over the edges and glued them down (easier than sewing!).
Terrible picture… But: To attach the clasp and the piece that will help you resize the collar, weave your collar through the metal piece (so on the underside of the piece there is one metal bar and on the top there are two) and then through one of the sides of the clasps. Then loop the end of the collar back through the one metal bar on the underside and sew the end of the collar that you just looped through onto itself. This will allow you to resize the collar by moving this metal piece. In the kit instructions we will go through this step-by-step and in much greater detail.
The finished collar! To finisht the other end, simply loop that end through the other side of the clasp and sew the end to itself. I didn’t sew on the D ring, but I might do so with the next one.
And there we are! Sam is eating breakfast with his brand-new collar on!
“Look at me!”
Now I am going to weave a perfected version of this and make it into a fun and easy kit. I think it’s going to be a multicolored collar this time, and with silk instead of cotton. Fancy puppy!