Tying up loose ends, literally.
I’ve shared all my Mirrix projects with you but often the finishing touches had not been applied, so I thought I’d tie up those loose ends and show you the finished pieces, all of which are Mirrix milestones for me. From left to right is…
1) the cuff I wove with Claudia’s wonderful hand-dyed silk and some gorgeous crystal beads. This is my first ever attempt to combine beads with fibre! As much as I wanted to I could not make an ugly bracelet with these materials. Here’s the post that explains why I would ever want to do such a thing. I finished it with a 9 strand braid, for which I followed this great video tutorial on Youtube. The video is geared toward people who want to make decorative bread, but I found it perfect, and easy to follow since the instructor uses such generous wads of dough for each strand.
2) My First tapestry on a Mirrix! Although my heart is with tapestries that are finely woven, my next tapestry will be with a larger EPI (this one was 12) so I can get it done faster and feel less encumbered by it in the context of a weekly update. With that said, I love this piece! The main tapestry is wool, and the indigo is hand-dyed by me, as is the shag poof which is 100% silk. And as I mentioned in a previous post I received advice from my hair-stylist brother about how to trim the shag. Surprisingly he didn’t seem to be too fazed by the request. As you can see the top selvage is warped due to the shag being too bulky, so I may attempt to have it mounted on a custom cut rock so the selvage will lay flat (when glued) and also have it slant forward so we can see the tapestry underneath the shag. I’m not completely set on that idea though.
3) My first attempt at weaving beads. Today I finished it off with some hardware and it ended up looking very vintage, almost art nouveau when worn. So I’m much happier about it than I expected. I may need to make more like it, next time on the no-warp-ends kit.